Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Fire and Rain

I am about 12 hours into a 24-hour news fast.  The gun violence in El Paso and Dayton and the response to these tragedies has just broken my heart in two.  As I drove to my morning appointment, I knew I needed music. Music restores me. I didn’t want to turn on the radio because I might slip and listen to the news.   So I took my phone out and put on James Taylor, of all people.  I am not a particular fan nor listen to him often but I did grow up with his music.

I actually think James Taylor wrote a prayer for all of us in this time of grief. James Taylor might have written a Psalm.  The Psalms were Jesus’ prayer book and they are full of grief, disappointment, frustration, joy, hope, and celebration – all the ways we are human.  When I heard Fire and Rain this morning, it hit me like a prayer, like a Psalm.  

As he sang, I heard the lyrics in a different context than ever before.  It starts out:

Just yesterday morning they let me know you were gone
Susanne, the plans they made put an end to you.
I walked out this morning and I wrote down this song
I just can't remember who to send it to.

At first, I thought this first verse seemed out of place but then it hit me.  This is the lament of everyone who lost someone in these recent shootings. Insert the name of a loved one in the place of “Susanne.”  It speaks to the need to share this pain, but with who?

It goes on:

I've seen fire and I've seen rain
I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end.
I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend
But I always thought that I'd see you again.

Won't you look down upon me, Jesus
You've got to help me make a stand.
You've just got to see me through another day.
My body's aching and my time is at hand
And I won't make it any other way.

Oh, I've seen fire and I've seen rain
I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end.
I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend
But I always thought that I'd see you again.

Been walking my mind to an easy time, my back turned towards the sun.
Lord knows when the cold wind blows it'll turn your head around.
Well, there's hours of time on the telephone line to talk about things to come.
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.

Oh, I've seen fire and I've seen rain
I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end.
I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend
But I always thought that I'd see you, baby, one more time again, now.
Thought I'd see you one more time again
There's just a few things coming my way this time around, now
Thought I'd see you, thought I'd see you fire and rain, now.

And now, as we keep walking, let us pray together not just for the victims, the shooters, and the lawmakers.  Let us pray that we ourselves are called to action to heal this country and see each other as the image of God.  Look down upon me Jesus and help me make a stand.  Amen.

Link to Fire and Rain (updated 2019) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9TimVHRXQ4

No comments: