Monday, May 28, 2018

Taking a Chance on Love


When my husband and I were dating, I was the one who said I love you first to which he responded, “oh.”  This was not the reaction I was expecting.  I felt completely ridiculous.  I pretty much figured the relationship was over; that he did not feel the same way I did and that he was likely getting advice from his friends about how to end it.  At the time, Ryan was a social worker and worked with a team of women who were glad to give him dating advice.  Apparently, the women in his office were horrified when they learned that he was in love with me and didn’t say so.  He cleared this up much to my relief!  This is a happy ending but I have had my share of heartbreak as I am sure you have, too.  We humans can be unpredictable and fickle when it comes to love. 

The Good News is there is a love that is unconditional and unfailing and that is the love that Jesus has for each of us.  This love has no limits.  Jesus doesn’t love us because we’re cute, funny, smart, charming, or talented.  He loves us because we are a child of God and he is our brother.  Tragically, some of you have been hurt by your Christian brothers or sisters and are still trying to recover.  Please know that Jesus loves you extravagantly.  We must separate the actions of imperfect humans from the true love that Jesus has for us.  That Jesus you read about in the Bible, the one that breaks the rules to heal the suffering, he is crazy in love with you. 

If you are still searching for a Christian community where you can be yourself, don’t lose heart.  We are wired for relationship and not meant to be alone.  Do your research, pray for guidance, and like any healthy relationship, move at your own pace.  Ask the hard questions.  While you search for a church home, be your true self. If you feel too much pressure to conform or fit in, listen to your gut and keep looking.  God wants to use all of you for his purpose because he is tickled as punch with you as you are. 

And if you would like the help of a spiritual matchmaker, send me a private message through Facebook/Twitter/Instagram.  I confidentially help people all over the country who have been wounded by their church experiences return to Christian community.  It is the joy of my life to help others find a loving, affirming, merciful Christianity that truly reflects Jesus of Nazareth.  These places do exist!

Lastly, remember the purpose of being a part of a Christian community is not so you can be a better person.  Christian community is our place to practice loving without bounds, not practice being perfect.  The brave folks who walk through the church doors with their scars and broken hearts, taking a chance on love, these seekers are my heroes.  Jesus loves you.  This I know. 




1 comment:

Mariam said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.