Thursday, September 3, 2015

The Good Shepherd - I Get It

Today, I gave myself the day off.  My Sabbath was supposed to be Saturday but expected client work did not arrive; I felt so peaceful today I decided I needed to go with it.  I took my daughter to the orthodontist and didn’t freak out when the cost of treatment was more than cars I have bought (not kidding).  I wrote a thank you note to a friend, invited my college-aged son to lunch, and settled in for a peaceful, unhurried day.  It’s been a while since I’ve posted so I was also listening.  Listening for something…

As I wrestled with my friends Doubt and Fear this week, I have felt the support of so many in my Christian community, so much so that I almost feel undeserving.  This is when I remember that church is not a place you go; it is people who are connected by the Spirit.  Honestly, I’ve been a little worry warrior lately so the gift of some peace was welcome.  My son says that worrying is like telling God that we think we know better than He does.  hmmm…  Is it even allowed for your teenager to take you down like that?

As I checked the news before settling in for a nap, I saw a headline entitled “Woolly Mammoth: Shearer Saves Hugely Overgrown Sheep.”  As it turns out, an Australian sheep that got lost from its flock probably five or six years ago was found carrying 89 pounds of wool.  Merino sheep are typically shorn every spring.  The sheep was really suffering from being lost in the wild.  Among other things, he was partially blinded by the wool and his hooves were damaged from carrying the weight of the extra wool.  I never thought about this before, but it seems that sheep, if left in the wild, can die.  Is this the only animal that needs humans to survive?  I confess my only knowledge of sheep is limited to the trivia I hear in the periodic sermons on “Peter, feed my sheep” or “I am the Good Shepherd” scriptures so I’m not much of an expert. Here’s a little trivia from the article:  The sheep was named Chris.  Short for Christian, maybe?  You decide.   

Bam.  That Jesus is so clever.  Here I am thinking he used the sheep metaphor because that had meaning to the agricultural people of his day.  Sure.  And, since most of us have no contact with sheep these days, this metaphor is not that relevant but we can get there by going with the “we are the people of his pasture, we’re part of the flock, we’re all in this together and Jesus is our shepherd/leader.”  Yeah.   

Let’s not forget the shepherd in Luke who left the 99 sheep to find the one lost sheep and when he finds it, he lays it across his shoulders and rejoices.  Then he goes home and throws a party.  The sheep would die without being part of the community, without being with other sheep, and without someone to care for them.  And it is worth it to momentarily leave the 99 to themselves and find the one missing sheep.  Finding the one lost sheep is worth it because otherwise he will die. 

In 2015, I finally get that Jesus wasn’t just talking about a wildlife metaphor but about an example of survival that requires community.  I can’t think of another animal that needs this symbiotic relationship with humans to survive.  We are built for relationship and going through life alone, being blind to the Spirit, and carrying painful baggage (whatever your “wool” is) is not the life that Jesus has called us to live.  We cannot truly live in a spiritual wilderness.

What I experienced this week was being part of the fold - being cared for by the flock because it’s essential to my survival.  I believe the care I received in the form of conversation, fellowship, emails and texts from my fellow sheep kept me going.  I also believe that the peace I feel today is a gift from the Good Shepherd who is taking good care of me - if I will be still and let him.


Do you belong to a community that is essential to your survival?  Is there a community that opens your eyes to God and helps you shed what weighs you down?  

No comments: